Scenic Highway History
Centuries of Interest
The physical William Bartram Scenic & Historic Highway may be relatively new, but this region and its waterways have attracted visitors and residents for literally thousands of years.
- A trip along the Scenic Highway gives you the opportunity to learn about:
- The Timucuans, the area’s early Native American residents
- The Early Settlers who built ranches and plantations along the St. Johns River
- William Bartram, the famed naturalist who explored the area in the 1770s
- The Scenic Highway, including its history, goals for the future and how you can help